Wednesday, December 28, 2005

When I was skiing I met someone I know from ski patrol and he took me to a more difficult area where I could improve technique. It was late afternoon when I fell and because I was going slow my bindings didn’t release and my skis didn’t come off. I felt a sharp pain below my left knee on the lateral side. I waited for a few minutes and he asked me if I was okay. I managed to get up and it felt okay and I could stand on it. I didn’t really think much of it. The next day when I woke up and got ready for work it was painful and became swollen. It continued to get worse as the day progressed so I went to the emergency room that evening. I wasn’t able to stand on it and was having trouble moving around. The physician that I saw took some notes and moved it in different positions which didn’t really bother me and then had it x rayed. It wasn’t until after I changed and had the x ray that we noticed how swollen it was. It was three or four times it’s normal size. The x ray didn’t show any fractures so they wrapped it and gave me a hinged brace that goes from my ankle to thigh to provide support and keep me from moving it too much. I have to meet with an orthopedic surgeon next week and have it evaluated.

No comments: