Sunday, July 29, 2007

I went to work and had a good day but as I was getting ready to leave for lunch Dr. Homer who runs the practice approached me and asked to talk. He mentioned that even though I had told them that I had just finished EMT course he hadn't realized how much training it would involve. He went on to say he had never hired someone who was just done with course and didn't think they were large enough of a clinic to train me and that it would take months and they couldn't do it after all. I was shocked because these were things I had mentioned in interview and I offered to take less pay and spend my weekend at hospital taking IV and blood draw courses at my own cost to get trained quicker. He said that he had made a mistake and that he would give me a months severance pay. I mentioned that I would expect them to keep me on until I found another position and he agreed which is a relief. He mentioned that it was his mistake and wasn't anything that I had done.

I'm frustrated and angry and mentioned that my position that I had working with the town had been filled and that I had health insurance including vision and dental, vacation, PTO, 401 K, retirement, etc. there. The benefits were much better there but I took a risk and came to work for him. It's only a mistake to him and one that he can fix by hiring someone who is more experienced but it not that simple for me.

I know everything will turn out okay and that maybe it's for the best even though I can't see it now. There's a Manager/Assistant Manager position and ski, mountaineering, etc. shop that is year round and includes health insurance and a free ski pass. I have done that type work when I was in college and think I would like it there. Keep your fingers crossed :). I might ask at the bookstore and library as well and see if they have any part time or full time work as well.

It made me realize what a supportive and loving family and friends I have as well. Within 15 mins of leaving a message with someone and talking to my sister Katie I received 5-6 phone calls :).

I hope all of you are having a better day than I am. I'm not that sad or anything just shocked, angry, frustrated, etc. I'm back on feet and coming up with back up plans. Right now embarrassed more than anything.

No comments: