Saturday, September 15, 2007

I accepted a position teaching at Montessori at Mountain School in Telluride, CO. There are two classrooms with 20 students each that are between the ages of three and six. I think there is more information about the program for those of you who are interested here. The position is Monday-Friday from 8:00am-4:00pm and is only a 10 minute walk from where I live. I really like the program and working with the kids and they seem to like me as well.

This week when I was helping one of the four year olds who needs additional help I asked him if he could write the alphabet on the chalk board. He not only was able to do that but does it better than any of the other students and can read as well. He seemed so excited to be able to do something better than the other students and kept wanting me to come over and observe him. It's a very good example of how effective being positive and finding out what a student does well and commenting on it rather than just focusing on what they are doing wrong. I think it was beneficial to mention that to his parents as well. I think they are accustomed to hearing negative comments as well.

The only problem I see occurring with this position is that because I'm assisting the teacher in the classroom my paycheck is based on how many hours I work. Even though it's considered a full time position I noticed when I was looking over the handbook that we are taking a week off for Thanksgiving and two weeks off for Christmas and Easter. I think they are taking a few days off for Presidents day weekend as well.

The other assistant approached me and asked if we get paid during vacations and I replied that we weren't because I had already asked. I was relieved that she was concerned as well. I think we might go speak with someone next week about our concerns.

If I'm not able to stay at Montessori a family has asked me to nanny for them and has offered to pay me the same and offer me 30 hours a week. I really like the family and wouldn't mind working for them. However, they have been waiting for weeks for me to make a decison and have really worked to accomodate me. I feel guilty for being so indecisive and know I need to make a decision and stick to it.

No comments: